Tuesday, October 21, 2008

When it rains

When it rains a magical transformation occurs at Sunshine Valley Hut.
The Lichens who reside on the many areas of exposed sandstone bust into life.
The Lichens inhabit a strange 2 dimensional world in the dry periods during dormancy. A little rain and they spring up like miniature 3 dimensional trees.
(I am attempting to photograph the before rain and after rain effect, it is harder then I thought. As soon as I am successful I will add the pics in here)
Lichens grow incredibly slowly perhaps 2mm per year! After all they eat rocks.
They are a member of the fungi kingdom and are composed of two organisms living together. A fungi provides the outer structure while the inner is composed of photosynthetic algae (or a cyanobacterium).
Lichens are killed by pollution and are great indicators that clean crisp air is present.
A great lichen resource can be found at
http://www.anbg.gov.au/abrs/lichenlist/NSW%20lichens.html
and a general one at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen








Another inhabitant who rests in hibernation during the dry to explode into frenzied activity is the many native land slugs (land molluscs).

OK I admit that not too many people have every used the terms "frenzied activity" and "slugs" in the same sentence. However add rain and these little beauties (Triboniophorus) are suddenly everywhere eating the leaf matter and the lichens on the sandstone.


Once the rain goes and the dry sets in the beautiful land slugs can only be found under rocks and other refuges. They resembling hard pieces of rubber. Safe in their hibernating state they awaiting the return of the rains when life can be resumed.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home