Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mrs Gecko drops by

I was busy moving bricks when I discovered a little leaf tailed gecko (Saltuarius ssp.) sound asleep in its cold season hibernation.

It was slow to move so I was able to let the boys discover it.

The leaf tail was missing when I found it. I assume these leaf tailed geckos are able to drop the tail like other lizards in a response to a threat.


Boys4 and Boy6 were fascinated by its crocodile like eyes and amazing colours.

After about ten minutes they return it to a pile of rocks to find a new place to live. There was no argument and no tears, the Gecko was returned to the bush and they resumed their previous games. Perhaps this act is a sign that they are starting to grow up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pip said...

It looks as if she was starting to take on the sweatshirt colour, looking slightly lilac.

May 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Ramsey said...

Thanks for the comment Pip.
She was certainly interesting to study.
Believe it or not she returned to the same spot a few days later.
I had to relocate her again.

May 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

How cute.

August 31, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home