Santa delivers a lid for the house!
Yes Santa did deliver! We were able to finish the roof just before Christmas.

The roof took ages to complete with the rain really making it a difficult job.

I am happy with the final result bar one little stuff up the Roofers made. Hopefully only I will ever see it.

Once the Roofers packed up their scaffolds and left I did a quick clean up and got straight to work moving the deck sub-frame over to its final site. The frame was too big and heavy to move as a complete piece so I had to deconstruct it, move everything and reconstruct it. It was a frantic day but by the end of it the deck sub-frame was mostly in position and complete.

I had my locally sourced and locally made decking boards delivered and was ready to start when I remembered that white ant caps were needed.
Unfortunately I discovered that white ant caps are just not made in the size I require! A phone call to Dad followed and I was instructed to bring the required metal sheets to the Christmas Family Do.
Dad spent a fair bit of time in his shed over the next few days and the result was eight perfect professional looking super-sized white ant caps! Thanks Dad! You saved me again!
We all enjoyed the Christmas Do and the Kids even got to play some old style non-battery using games!
We were missing a fair bit of the extended Family this year which made for a smaller and quieter Christmas Day then usual. Hopefully we will have a big gathering next year.

Girl4 loved the hand made presents from Nana.

I think she might have also stole Pop's heart!
Now Christmas is over I am on to laying the deck.
Until next time....

The roof took ages to complete with the rain really making it a difficult job.

I am happy with the final result bar one little stuff up the Roofers made. Hopefully only I will ever see it.

Once the Roofers packed up their scaffolds and left I did a quick clean up and got straight to work moving the deck sub-frame over to its final site. The frame was too big and heavy to move as a complete piece so I had to deconstruct it, move everything and reconstruct it. It was a frantic day but by the end of it the deck sub-frame was mostly in position and complete.

I had my locally sourced and locally made decking boards delivered and was ready to start when I remembered that white ant caps were needed.
Unfortunately I discovered that white ant caps are just not made in the size I require! A phone call to Dad followed and I was instructed to bring the required metal sheets to the Christmas Family Do.
Dad spent a fair bit of time in his shed over the next few days and the result was eight perfect professional looking super-sized white ant caps! Thanks Dad! You saved me again!
We all enjoyed the Christmas Do and the Kids even got to play some old style non-battery using games!We were missing a fair bit of the extended Family this year which made for a smaller and quieter Christmas Day then usual. Hopefully we will have a big gathering next year.

Girl4 loved the hand made presents from Nana.

I think she might have also stole Pop's heart!
Now Christmas is over I am on to laying the deck.Until next time....

4 Comments:
Wow! That roof looks fabulous...love the sticky up bit (yeah, I know it probably has a proper name, but you know what I mean). Your dad looks like a character too. Have fun on the deck!
An excellent Christmas present! Best wishes for the new year. I am looking forward to seeing it all finished.
Thanks Hazel and Barrett for your comments.I appreciate them. It is nice to see the progress starting to form a real house after so long. Hazel "the sticky up bit" forms the structure for the "clerestory windows" which are an important part of the passive solar design of the house. Hopefully the eave will shield the window from the summer sun and in winter when the sun is lower in the sky, the suns warmth and light will flood in warming the walls which will radiate the stored heat during the night. Well that is the theory anyway. In summer the window will be open exhausting the hot air out the top of the building.
Right now we are running all the electrical cables inside out of the heat. It is very satisfying work.
Sorry for the late comment, but the house looks great! You must be so proud!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home